Monday 12 January 2009

Running into 2009


welcome to 2009!

i've hit the new year running, quite literally! i've finally developed a winter gym strategy to keep my running moving forward, while not dying of boredom (quite possible!)

my routine entails the following:

15 mins treadmill running doing hills
15 mins cross trainer on hills
15 mins treadmill running on flat, but faster than when on hills

then onto core, abs, arms and push ups.

i'm quite impressed, because by mixing up my machines i'm able to still get a good running based 45 workout, but without the tedious-ness of hanging on the one machine the entire time.

In other news, my 6 day Kili hike is only 6 weeks away. I've cracked out the old hiking boots and gave them a test yesterday. They feel quite comfortable other than the fact they trip me over every now and again. Stupidest design in history (brand: Salomon) Will need to wear either gaiters or thicker walking pants to combat design flaw.

Fitness wise I haven't really changed anything to my routine. The last gym visit I swapped my last 15 minute treadmill run for a maximum steepness walk - does that count as Kili preperation?

I really do need to pull my finger out a little, and will aim for some longer uphill sessions. Just so incredibly boring walking uphill in a gym. Perhaps there are some oversized mountains on London's outskirts? Hmmmmm.....


No comments: