FOUR days until Kilimanjaro! Here's four interesting points about Kili:
1. Mount Kilimanjaro is situated entirely within the borders of Tanzania, although it is situated close to the border of Kenya.
2. It is the tallest mountain in Africa
3. Around 15,000 people per year attempt to summit the top.
4. We will be aiming for a five/six day ascent, which is commonly considered 'too fast' - therefore resulting in a 40% success rate of reaching the summit.
And here's four interesting points about my journey:
1. I will be climbing with Lisa. We decided to do this while sitting on a grassy patch on the coast of Spain.
2. I am typing this entry in bed, with a cold.
3. I have worn my new hiking boots four times, averaging thirty minutes per wear
4. We will be ascending around the time of the UK's Radio One Comic Relief trip to Kili. I secretly hope to bump into Cheryl Cole, and will be dressing for the occasion should it eventuate.
She may not be impressed.
Wednesday, 4 February 2009
training took a different turn this week: as i've spent the last week in morocco. i went prepared, and packed my running gear, and what's more - i even used it!
during the week i managed two morning runs, 15 minutes a pop, and an extra bonus - a slightly unexpected run - of about 20 minutes... with horses...
allow me to explain
we decided to partake in an afternoon of horse riding, during which my spirited horse decided to attack another horse - mid gallop. now my nerves while riding are limited at best, but this almost threw me and my nerves were shot. i jumped off the horse and declared i would walk.
unfortunately this made travel rather slow, and, so i thought - why not use the opportunity to take a run? off i went, running with the horses, along the beach. lovely!
in other news- i've joined the local womens running club - will run with them again this sunday. hopefully a little faster than last time! it's hard to run and chat with the ladies.
and now only two weeks until i leave for Kili!!!! time to get those boots on