Sunday, 30 August 2009
running american style
hello america! this week has seen me running in miami and north florida, and as such; i’ve gathered some running reflections from the week.
lucky you! here she is;
1. stupidly fit attractive runners always catch me during the walk bit of my intervals. never during the sprint bits. damnit.
2. running in humidity is like trying to ride your bike through mud. while towing a car. full of rocks.
3. 100% of fellow runners this week have been very friendly, with 86% giving variations on ‘hello.’ remaining 14% have been dodgy leering men (counts?)
4. i’ve re-discovered one of the joys of running. when traveling, hitting the pavement allows you to use all your senses, and view your surrounds in a completely different light. it also gives you confidence to explore areas which perhaps, given the slow pace of walking, you would have talked yourself out of exploring. some of the most distinct memories of cities i’ve had were founded on a run.
5. i have a serious aversion to going backwards. 4km run yesterday turned into 9kms as a result of a wrong turn. turning around just is not an option, even when 9kms in 29 degrees isn’t either.
6. i like to overtake. i’d mapped out a lovely running route the other morning but when another runner passed me while i warmed up, i thought; she looks like she’s going my old pace. i couldn’t resist, and ended up running in the opposite direction for far too long, just to satisfy that moment of overtaking.
7. i’ve now officially overtaken 4 people when running.
8. if i’m being totally honest, one of those was stationary.
so what have i got up to this week? (have borrowed mon from last weeks totals, i screwed up the system)
mon> 20 min run, bike weights, 20 min swim drills (timed 400m: 7.53: slow!!!)
wed> 3.5k run (medium pace)
thur> 3k run (medium pace), 10 min swim
sat> 9k run speed intervals; easy run 1km, sprint/active recovery, then sprint/walk, then easy run 2km
sun> 3.5k run speed intervals; easy run 1km, fast high knees/active recovery, then sprint/active recovery
being on holidays, i’m pretty restricted to running for the next week as well; which is really quite a good thing. it’s my ongoing mantra; *running*needs*to*improve*
the sprint work is definitely more taxing on my body, and i still haven’t shaken the pain in my lower left hip which occurred during London Tri and reappears after about minute 10 of a run. but i’m not going to write about my injuries, as i’m trying to stay positive + look forward. that’s not to say i’m not trying to get it sorted, but as yet it’s not hindering my journey onwards, so until it does, i’m administering self silence!
next week’s totals will be running focused also. hopefully less leery men statistics this time around :)