Sunday, 26 July 2009
7 days to go!
incredible; only seven days remaining! this demands mutiple rapid fire exclamation marks!!!!!!
so holy moses, one week - what does that even mean?
- 107, 520 blinks until the race starts (it's what they say, who am i to question?)
- 43 times i'll have minor heart palpitations thinking about race related issues, most of which are completely ridiculous (ie. how will i remember how many laps i've done?)
- 168 hours to work out how i'm going to strap my power bar to my bike in bite size pieces without making my bike look like a candy store (previous attempted was laughed at, a lot)
- five times i'll wake up too early, launching out of bed to bike/swim/run and then remembering it's time to rest and wondering if my body will recognise a sneaky session?
- two more times i'll be able to list my week's training activities, oh, and were her ears burning? here she is;
monday > hilly run 40 minutes
tuesday > short wetsuit swim in sea (sight practise)
wednesday > speed cycle 45 minutes (with intervals), hilly run 40 minutes
thursday > speed cycle 40 minutes (with intervals), short wetsuit swim in sea (sight practise), 45 minute hilly walk (counts?)
friday > rest day
saturday > 40 minute run (undulating), 2.4 km swim training session (wetsuit)
sunday > 50 km cycle
so i've got a few things on my mind, the usual stuff, i'm sure;
- will my goggles fill with water? no previous problems but on saturday they filled up about six times - not feeling confident, might switch back to ye olde crap but more reliable goggles. will test again next swim practise and probably make rash decision on day.
- how will i get my stupid power bar onto my bike without facing public ridicule? see pic below, they have smiles too big for their faces, but no candy store
- need to get spare inner tube + bike checked over. she was clanking loudly on todays long cycle and was a little embarrassing. guess my re-assemble from car travels weren't so kind.
- should i use the Co2 cartridge without practising? i'm scared of them. bike shop man said i'd burn my hand from the cold. lots of warnings of exploding. i'm a big wuss. may not be so much of a wuss when faced with flat during race...?
- worried about right arm during swim. wearing my tri suit under my wetsuit has given me painful dead right arm for first 15 mins of swim - think there's just too much restriction happening. thought about rolling down tri suit + just wearing bikini top, then pulling up later, but this sounds complicated + very big potential for accidentally naked exposure. maybe should just cope with 15 mins of dead arm?
- have not done a full length 40k bike/ 10k run brick in training. this is going to hurt beyond words. i'm aware of my foolishness, but yet announcing it for hope of redemption
so the week ahead! will sneak in two more training sessions early on, then it's rest rest. there's nothing i can do now to be faster and/or better, which is relatively comforting, so guess it's just a matter of enjoying it *gasp*